The 2014 IFA event in Berlin witnessed the launch of a bevy of smartphones from an array of OEM’s. However, it was HTC’s ‘Desire 820’ that bagged in Android Authority’s much coveted ‘Best of Show’ award. The Desire 820 which the company dubs as a ‘premium mid-range’ offering, is the successor to their hot selling desire 816 and is supposed to be one of the first android headsets rocking a 64 bit processor underneath it.
- A dual tone unibody polycarbonate shell with multiple color accents, which lend the smartphone a premium feel. An excellent build quality makes the device robust
- Powerful cameras, both on the front and the rear. The smartphone comes equipped with a 13 MP f 2.2 rear shooter and an 8 MP unit on the front for well detailed selfies. There are many unique software enhancements such as:* Face fusion/ Live makeup: It allows users to merge their facial feature’s with those of a friend’s or a celebrity’s in real time to create a fun modern mashup
* Photo Booth: Several moments can be captured in a single image, using both hardware and software tweaking
- Fast 64 bit processing: The device comes packed with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 615 Soc which is a power efficient 1.5 GHz Octa core processor. The 64 bit architecture future proof’s the device and ensures a smooth UI experience
- Blazing Fast 4G LTE connectivity: The Cat 4 LTE modem is integrated within the 64 bit processor itself, allowing the device lightning fast data speeds of upto 150 mbps
- Inclusion of HTC’s signature features like Boom Sound speakers, Zoe highlights, support for HTC One’s dot view case and the very latest Sense 6 software, add to the smartphone’s appeal
Thus, HTC builds on a lot to their existing know how with the Desire 820. The only stuff that seems mid ranged about this beauty are the 720p HD displays (5.5’’ inch screen) and a polycarbonate wrapping. Rest all is pretty much high end. The smartphone also succeeded in bagging another prestigious recognition, Android Central’s ‘Best of IFA 2014’ award.
While awarding the 820, Android Authority remarks:
‘The Desire 816 was the winner in this category at MWC 2014, and HTC has another winner on their hands with the current iteration. Which is why, we are extremely pleased to recognize the HTC Desire 820 as the Best Mid-range Smartphone at IFA 2014. ‘
Both critics and customers alike seem pepped up about the availability and pricing for the device. Though as of now, there’s been no official word from HTC for the same. The device is expected to release later this fall along with Android L.
Stay tuned with Gadgetadda for all updates to the Desire 820.